Saturday, May 3, 2014

Erratics

As you travel the Calumet Region, you may see boulders.  I never really thought much about these boulders until I started my research about the glacial history of the Calumet Region.  First of all, these boulders have a name.  They are called erratics.  Erratics are "boulders that have been moved from their original location and found elsewhere, often scattered throughout moraines." Schoon, pg. 221
 
These huge rocks are native to Canada and upper Michigan.  They were carried here by glaciers during the recent ice age.  When the boulders were dragged by the glaciers they could have possibly created large striations, which are deep scratches in the bedrock underneath.  The scratches are usually parallel to the direction that the glacier had moved. Schoon, pgs. 13, 17
 
The large granite boulders are often found on till ("a mixture of clay, silt, sand, pebbles and boulders") and moraines ("a geographical feature composed of materials that were deposited by a glacier"). Schoon, pgs. 16, 221. When I needed to look for the erratics for my class, I wasn't sure exactly where I would find them in our area.  As it turns out, they are everywhere.  Residents of this area have moved them to their homes, their businesses and you can also find them at your local park.  While driving through my community, I did find erratics just about everywhere.  My neighbors across the street have a couple in front of their landscaping and my friend has some that border her driveway.  It's amazing to think that they were first brought here by glaciers!
 
References: Schoon J. Kenneth, Calumet Beginnings
 
 
 
 
 
 
The erratics shown above are located on the grounds
of the St. George Greek Orthodox Church in Schererville.
 
Photographs Taken By: Carol Haynes

Erratic in front of Stephen Park in Schererville.
 
Photograph Taken By: Carol Haynes

Erratics border a dentist's office in Schererville,  just south
of Route 30.
 
Photograph Taken By: Carol Haynes
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment